Dr Anthony Ventresque founded and leads the UCD Complex Software Lab. Dr Ventresque received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Nantes & INRIA France in 2008. He is currently a Lecturer in the School of Computer Science at University College Dublin, Ireland, and a Funded Investigator with Lero, the SFI Irish Software Research Centre. Previously he held positions as Research Fellow at NTU, Singapore (2010–2011), UCD, Ireland (2012–2014), and IBM Research Dublin, Ireland (2014–2015).
- 2016+ Funded Investigator; Lero, Ireland
- 2015+ Lecturer (Associate Professor); UCD, Ireland
- 2014-2015 SFI Industry Research Fellow; Lero@UCD and IBM Research, Ireland
- 2012-2014 Postdoc; Lero @UCD, Ireland
- 2010-2011 Research Fellow; Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2004-2009 Teaching & Research Assistant; INRIA and University of Nantes, France
- 2008 PhD in Computer Science; INRIA and University of Nantes, France
- 2004 MSc in Computer Science; University of Nantes, France
- 2002 BSc in Computer Science; University of Nantes, France
- 2001 MSc in Philosophy; University of Nantes, France
- 2000 BSc in Philosophy; University of Nantes, France
Publications Statistics and Awards
- Best paper award, International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing, ISPDC 2014 (CORE C).
- Shortlisted for the best paper award, European Semantic Web Conference, ESWC 2008 (CORE A).
- Shortlisted for the best paper award, International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation, HPCS 2015 (CORE B).
- Shortlisted for the best paper award, International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, ICTAI 2015 (CORE B).
- Shortlisted for the best paper award, Symposium on Search-Based Software Engineering, SSBSE 2016.
Dr Ventresque has 15+ years of teaching experience at the University of of Nantes, NTU Singapore, and UCD. Recently, Dr Ventresque has designed and delivered the following modules:
- Big Data Programming: UCD BSc programme & Negotiated Learning MSc programme.
- Operating Systems and Data Structures & Algorithms: UCD MSc Conversion Programme – for students coming with a non-CS background.
- MSc Practicum Module: Dr Ventresque ran a Practicum module (12 week internship over the summer) for 40 MSc Conversion students. The students had to design and implement a web application running on a virtual machine, using various Software Engineering and Data Analysis technologies and concepts.
Dr Ventresque has also delivered lectures and/or tutorials for the following modules at the University of Nantes and NTU Singapore: Computer Networking (BSc), Operating Systems (BSc & MSc), Databases (BSc), Software Engineering (MSc), Distributed Systems (MSc), Artificial Intelligence (MSc), Website Development (BSc), Performance of Computer Systems and Performance of Distributed Systems (Advanced Software Engineering module), Distributed Systems and Distributed Computing (main concepts & P2P, MAS, JMS, WS, SOA, ESB), Unix/Linux, Software Development, Logic.
PhD Students Supervision
- Frank Fowley (2020-)
- Abeba Birhane (2019-)
- Emma O’Neill (2018-)
- Jordan Doyle (2017-)
- Thomas Laurent (2017-)
- Elayne Ruane (2017-)
- Leandro Batista de Almeida (2017-)
- Dr Takfarinas Saber: Multi-Objective VM Reassignment for Large Data Centres (2013-2017). Last known position: Lecturer in the School of Computer Science at UCD.
- Dr Quentin Bragard: Decentralised Distributed Microscopic Simulation for Fast and Accurate Urban Trac Prediction (2012-2016). Last known position: Senior Data Scientist at Mastercard (Dublin).
- Dr Xi Li: Workload Consolidation in Large-Scale Data Centers (2011-2015). Last know position: Senior Software Engineer with LexisNexis (Dublin).
- Dr Masatoshi Hanai: Performance Optimization for Parallel and Distributed Discrete Event Simulation of Large-Scale Systems (visiting from Tokyo Tech, Japan, 2014).